Executing Documents Remotely under The Emergency Measures Act Order
May 29, 2020
Jointly presented with the Manitoba Bar Association
This Order under The Emergency Measures Act temporarily suspends the requirements for in person commissioning and witnessing of certain critical documents. It sets out steps required when taking an oath or witnessing the signing by video conferencing or through glass or plexiglass. The order is in effect May 13, 2020 to October 1, 2020. This order applies to:
- Powers of Attorney;
- Transfers or Mortgages under The Real Property Act;
- Homestead consents or releases;
- Health Care directives;
- Oaths, affirmations or statutory declarations under The Evidence Act.;
This CPD presentation will offer a discussion of the practical considerations and helpful checklists you can use as you navigate these circumstances.
Moderator: Gerrit Theule, Executive Member of MBA Wills, Estates & Trusts Section, Wolseley Law LLP
Tana Christianson, Director of Insurance, The Law Society of Manitoba
Darcia Senft, General Counsel and Director of Policy & Ethics, The Law Society of Manitoba
CPD hours: 1
EPPM hours: 1
Show me the Money: Receivership and Bankruptcy Basics
April 22, 2021
When a client comes to you with a collections issue, whether they are a creditor seeking to enforce their claim or a debtor seeking to understand and properly navigate their options, the stakes are high and the law is complex. Join us for this reboot of the popular “Show me the Money” collections law CPD previously held in 2006 and 2012.
This session is geared toward general practitioners or junior lawyers starting out in the collections field. Find out the basics you need to know from experienced presenters who will cover two main topic areas:
- Secured party remedies - intro to receiverships
- Bankruptcy, proposals and the impact on collections
Moderator: Catherine Howden, Pitblado LLP
Richard Schwartz, Tapper Cuddy LLP
Gord Neudorf, CPA, CA, CIRP, LIT, MNP Ltd.
JJ Burnell, MLT Aikins LLP
CPD hours: 1.5
EPPM hours: 0
Price: $65.00 + GST = $68.25
Trauma Informed Lawyering
March 25, 2021
Lawyers in all practice areas will benefit from this introductory session on trauma informed lawyering.
The focus of the session will include:
- learning about trauma,
- defining trauma informed practice for lawyers,
- improving trauma informed client engagement skills,
- learning to practice cultural humility, and
- educating lawyers on resilience strategies to safeguard their mental health.
The session will be divided into four segments:
- identifying trauma and its impacts on the brain;
- strategies for bringing a trauma-informed approach in client interactions;
- cultural humility + recognizing Indigenous trauma as a foundation for trauma-informed
- identifying risk factors for vicarious trauma + vicarious resilience and safeguarding the
mental health of lawyers.
Myrna McCallum, Miyo Pimatisiwin Legal Services, North Vancouver, BC
Listen to Myrna’s podcast, The Trauma Informed Lawyer, here:
CPD hours: 2
EPPM hours: 2
Price: $75.00 + GST = $78.75
Working Remotely Post-Pandemic:
Establishing a Flexible Office for the Long Term
June 24, 2020
After the initial shock of working remotely has eased, there is now an opportunity to take what we’ve learned in these past few months to strengthen and fine-tune remote office practices.
The COVID-19 pandemic led to business interruption on a global scale and law firms scrambled to establish remote work arrangements for their staff in record time and to an extent that many businesses had never contemplated before. Now that we’ve had some experience with our new work reality it is a good time to consider the efficiencies of establishing a more permanent flexible office.
This presentation featuring technology expert, Barron Henley, will provide you with practical guidance on how and what you need to set yourself up with a flexible, efficient and secure practice.
- creation of and reliance upon a complete an electronic filing system,
- hardware recommendations,
- mobile communications,
- billing & accounting,
- case management systems for centralized remotely accessible client information,
- digital signatures and remote signing technology,
- cybersecurity and protecting client data,
- how to get documents drafted when you’re separated from support staff,
- home workspaces
Barron brings enthusiasm and practical expertise – you don’t want to miss this helpful presentation!
Presenter: Barron K. Henley, Esq., Partner, Affinity Consulting Group
CPD hours: 2
EPPM hours: 2
Price: $50.00 + GST = $52.50