Tax 101 for Commercial Lawyers
May 31, 2018
If you have a general commercial practice, you know that tax issues will inevitably arise on your client files. Often you are aware of the issue or have encountered it before and you are prepared to deal with it. However, what about those instances where, as the saying goes, “you don’t know what you don’t know”?
Join experienced tax practitioner Johanna Caithness for this “Tax 101” program intended for practitioners who wish to gain a better understanding of various tax issues that arise in general commercial practice or young practitioners who are starting out in commercial practice.
Issues covered will include:
- General corporate matters - taxation of intercorporate dividends, rules relating to eligible dividends, overview of stated capital and paid-up capital
- General purchase/sale matters - use of capital gains reserve, matters relating to restrictive covenants, overview of s. 84.1 of the Income Tax Act (Canada)
- Share purchase/sale - overview of lifetime capital gains exemption, deemed year-end on an acquisition of control as a result of a share sale
- Asset purchase/sale - GST issues, including GST registration, availability of the s. 167 GST joint election and related issues, applicability of GST (particularly relating to real property), and PST issues, including bulk sales and exemptions under The Retail Sales Tax Act
- Non-resident issues - requirement for clearance certificate under s. 116 of the Income Tax Act (Canada), dividend withholding and remittance requirements under s. 212 of the Income Tax Act (Canada)
Presenter: Johanna Caithness, Fillmore Riley LLP
CPD hours: 1.5
EPPM hours: 0
Price: $65.00 + GST = $68.25